Sunday, June 7, 2009

A Tiny Addendum!

One other interesting tid-bit of info garnered from my re-discovering a 10-year old website I created for The Awakening (nice, run-on sentence there!), was this nugget of retrospective gold!

It turns out that there was a significant moment that took place which allowed Andy and I to get to know each other, and thus create the impetus to work together in a band. That moment involved a band called "Madrigal," which takes the cake as one of the most lame band names ever! Madrigal was a dance band started by my music teachers at high school in Woodstock, Ontario. Doug Shippey, Ed Steer and Tim Nichols were all music teachers at Huron Park Secondary School in Woodstock, where Andy and I both went to school. Tim was the band's drummer, and Andy played guitars. (Keep in mind, Andy graduated high school when I was still in grade 9 or 10. So we weren't friend AT school. He was actually friends with my brother Rob and they even played in a band together called "Whimpy"!! Yes.. more terrible band names!)

Anyway... on one fateful occasion, Madrigal had a gig in Woodstock during a fairly bad winter snow-storm. It was bad enough that Tim Nichols, who still lived in London, could not make it to the gig. I remember being at home and getting a call from my teacher Doug Shippey, telling me to go to the school, get the drum set and be at the Oxford Auditorium to play drums with the band!
It was at this event that Andy and I really got to talk and get to know each other. He told me his intentions to put a Christian Rock Band together, and he wondered if I knew of any singers who might be interested in being a part of it. I told him that I would be interested, which led to my explaining my conversion experience to him, and thus, the ball was officially rolling.

According to what I read on my 10-year old Awakening website, it was only a matter of weeks later that I was officially a member of the band.

Now, as far as Madrigal is concerned - near my grade 13 year, Tim decided to quit the band, at which point I got the gig as his replacement. You have to know, aside from being a really great teacher, Tim was an extremely good drummer. I had only learned the drums that year, as I played drums in the school's "show choir!" This is another funny story!

The Show-choir was a singing and dancing ensemble. Because I was in every possible musical group going at high school (Senior Orchestra, Junior Orchestra, Wind Ensemble, Jazz Ensemble, etc.) I HAD to be in this too. The only problem was... I was (and still am) a TERRIBLE DANCER!!! At the first rehearsal, where Mr. Shippey worked on choreography for Lionel Ritchie's "All Night Long," I was asked whether I might be more comfortable playing drums instead of dancing! My dancing career went up in smoke, and thus my shaky existence as a drummer began!!

I ended up playing drums for Madrigal for a few years, and even on occasion would take Andy's place on guitars or Doug's place on keyboards if they couldn't make a gig.

If I recall, this band fizzled out around the time The Awakening was getting really busy, and thus my drumming days were behind me!

One side note... for those few people out there who have heard my un-released, un-finished album "Songs Everyone Will Hate," you might recall hearing an hilarious recording of "What A Wonderful World" with me on drums. It was recorded in the late 1980's while playing with Madrigal!!

More useless trivia!!

No comments:

Post a Comment