Friday, July 17, 2009

The Awakening Postmortem

The Awakening Postmortem

Sorry to have left you on a pretty sad note. Breaking up is, as they say, hard to do!

Mike had written a comment on my last blog posting that brought to mind something I had forgotten, that being that our manager Glenn tried to get us to play one last gig together at the Kingdom Bound festival in August of 1989. There was no way that would have happened. Perhaps years later, it might have occurred to Mike and Al that they might have liked one more chance to play with the old mates, but when the wounds were so fresh and raw, there was honestly no possibility of us doing that gig so soon after the breakup.

Mike had his other band on the go at the time, and as he's mentioned before, being in that band was so much more fun than it was being in The Awakening. I think I was feeling a similar way about my life outside of the band at that time.

When it all came down, there was a lot of guilt and hard feelings that surrounded us all in the aftermath. I felt bad for Al. He loved being in the band, and quite frankly had to put up with a lot of crap being in it. Besides his obvious role in the band, he would be the guy who would have to deal with a broken down cube van late at night after having worked all day at a gig, quite possibly knowing that he'd be up at some insane hour the next morning working his day job. He certainly held a burden that nobody else in the band had to worry about.
And yet for Al, this must have been a really sad realization for him to confront, that for all the good and bad, he was not going to have this band to play in any longer.

Andy and I already had full-time jobs working at Cedartree Recording studio and even back in those days, Andy had aspirations to one day have his own recording studio. Mike had various other interests musically and had good outlets to explore them. But Al must have felt pretty abandoned by the whole affair.

So as the weeks and months passed after our final "band meeting," there was no shortage of bad will towards each other. Sometimes it would come directly, but more often it would come second or third hand. I used to have a friend who was semi-well known for being a bit of a gossiper and a blabber mouth. On a few occasions, he would share with me the things that Mike was saying about Andy and I to friends in his circle. I would sometimes offer a retort that may or may not have gotten back to him! It gets pretty juvenile sometimes, but that is how most break-ups go. Trust me... I've been married and divorced. It doesn't matter how mature you think you are; when a major relationship implodes, it can bring out the best AND worst in all of us!

I have mentioned before in these postings that leading up to the breakup, Andy and I had no definite plans to work together. It was sort of inevitable that it would happen, but we hadn't really talked about possibilities. We both worked at the studio and had access to it whenever its schedule had a hole, but in terms of starting a new band, that was not on our minds during this time period. We just knew that it wouldn't be long before we started working together on something new.

It might have been all the bad energy that sprang forth after the band broke up, but ironically, it didn't take long for Andy and I to re-group and start the next phase of our career. Andy was never one to sit around and wait things out. I honestly have no memories of us planning anything. All I know is, at some point later on in 1989, we had a new demo recorded at the studio and began the process of creating a new band to play with.

The initial songs Andy and I worked on included some unfinished Awakening material. At one of our last practices, we recorded a run-through of a song tentatively called "Surfin' Tailpipe," but the song never came together before the band broke up. That song would eventually become known as "The Beauty Of The Night." We worked on that song, and probably 3-4 other Awakening ideas before we tried to write new songs.

At some point through all of this, I decided that I did not want to be a keyboard player anymore. Perhaps the years of over-playing with The Awakening had just burned me out!
I switched to bass guitar, and in the studio I still handled the keyboard parts, but we were scaling that sort of direction back a bit.

We did a demo near the end of 1989 or early 1990, which would have been done entirely by Andy and I in the studio.

At some point, Andy began putting together a new band. He called upon our old friend Glenn Koehler (former Awakening manager) to be our keyboard player. Andy and Glenn called an old friend from their Humber College days - Clarke Williams - to play drums.

I remember meeting Clarke for the first time when he came to Cedartree to meet us and do a session. I guess this was his audition, so the pressure for him was on. Clarke was a really laid-back guy and came more from the jazz world than the rock world, so he was pretty out of his element.

Without telling the entire story of the 1990's in this chapter (!!), this nucleus stayed intact for a few years under the name Echo Park, before Andy and I again chose to throw it all away and start again. We did a few gigs as Echo Park, and continued to do lots of recording together, but for guys like Clarke and Glenn, it was pretty discouraging spending so much time in a studio and so little time in front of an audience. They decided it might be best to move on.

So Echo Park ceased to exist by about 1991-92.

The next version of this band was Andy and I with drummer Gord Stevenson, and that provided the foundation for what would eventually become One Hundred Days. This was the band, under various memberships, that would keep Andy and I working together throughout the 90's.

More on those days in another blog perhaps!

So to wrap things up regarding The Awakening - it is safe to say that the 4 of us never regained the kind of friendships we had while we were together. It wasn't so much because of bad feelings, because all of those bad feelings eventually passed. It was more because of our lives all going in different directions. Al eventually got married and moved away from town. Mike moved into various areas using his many facets of creativity, from art, graphic design and music. Andy DID get his home studio going in the early 90's, and to this day, he records a number of album projects for other artists from the comfort of his own home. When my career with Andy came to an end by the year 2000, I also started to move into new areas. I began doing a lot of side-man work for a number of Country Music artists, which allowed me to tour, and for the first time with good income, my own bed to sleep in and good meals!! I started doing a lot of composing and scoring work too.

These days, Andy has been hiring me to do keyboard parts for the albums he produces at home. Because of modern technology, I can do these parts from my home studio and then send him the finished files. So we see other a lot more often these days, but we honestly hardly saw each other from 2000-2006.

I have bumped into Mike at various places over the years, be it the local mall or a Starbucks. We are really looking forward to re-connecting regarding all of these old Awakening memories in coming months. I haven't seen Al in years, but thanks to Facebook, I can keep tabs on him and wish him well, even if just in a virtual sense. I think the last time we were all together at the same place was in 1990 when I got married to my first wife. There might have been one other time shortly after that, but I don't recall for sure. Mike asked me to play piano at his wedding, and I assume that was in the mid 90's, so that's probably the last time I saw Al.

I hope when this is all said and done, that we can all get together and catch up on years and years of old times.

Good friends, each one, and although our journey ended early and shifted the course of our futures, I have no regrets.

I want to take a second to thank you all for reading these blogs. It really has been therapeutic for me to write them. I know that I've been writing these from my own recollections, and nothing in here should be consider a definitive Awakening history. It's just one of the 4 accounts of it. I have spent many years of my life looking back at that time period with varying degrees of regret and even embarrassment. I don't live in the same world that I did in the 1980's, and musically, intellectually and spiritually, I am not at all the same person (and let's not kid myself... I put on a few pounds!) But allowing myself to go back and remember has been a wonderful thing for me, and I thank you all for indulging me in this opportunity.

I'll write more as I think of more to write, and I hope at some point soon, we can pool all of our resources together to put some unreleased Awakening material out into the universe, and perhaps bring together some of the old masters and make them sound beefy and wonderful.

For those of you who carried our music with you through your lives, we thank you.

Thanks so much. You are all wonderful people and should be given awards or at least ice cream sandwiches!

Cheers and salutations...

Ian - July 17/09

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for this blog, I picked up with you and your music during the One Hundred Days era, it's good to hear the back story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a few notes on my part too man...

    I'm looking forward to getting together and sharing some of the stories that will make people smile...

    If I was to really think about it and create a post mortem for the band as well, here would be some observations...

    At the end of it all, I felt the worst about Al as well. He was always Switzerland when it came to the band. They guy who always remained calm and in the middle, and neutral. He would always try to get me to see things the other guys way... I think of all of us, it probably was the most devastating to him...

    I have a lot of respect for Andy, and he is one of the most talented players I have ever known, but the truth is, we were never friends. We were business partners and acquaintances. Andy and I always saw things a bit differently. He was methodical, and appropriate, and wrote music more with the theory and pop template in mind. He was schooled in music and theory, and things needed to make a certain sense.

    I, on the other hand, was more a polar opposite. More sporadic, I played and wrote by feel and ear, and liked things a lot less refined. Raw. Intense. Moody. I remember playing him a solo one time from a band called Gene Loves Jezebel, thinking it was an awesome solo, full of feeling, and I remember he hated it. It was simplistic and there was no finesse to it...

    The lost recordings were a direct result of this clash between us, which made things great, but I think also tore things apart... it had an edge and depth which I don't think any of us created since...

    It was a lot of fun playing in The Awakening. There are hundreds of great stories which we'll tell I'm sure.

    The reason why I liked playing in the Vast Minority with Steve and Glennn was because there was not only a bond of friendship, but a comradery and like interest. We did a lot of things together and just plain hung out more...

    You and Andy went to school together and were friends before, I think. Same with Al and Andy. I was playing more with Kevin Does and the guys before that (Andy and Kevin and I did one gig together), and I just expected that band mates were also friends. I had remembered complaining to Andy once at the beginning of The Awakening (which I did often as I was a jerk) that we never did anything together as friends (except once go to a movie, Terms of Endearment which was Andy's idea... another story) and that friends should hang out more, to which Andy replied, "I don't need any more friends, I have Margaret Ellen". I never really forgot that. Pug was always the best, and I don't blame him at all, but I was also looking for band mates I could really identify with as people...

    Notice how I never mentioned you in all this? I always thought you were one of the most eclectic people I have ever met. Multi-talented. You were always open to my ideas, and when we worked together it was always fun too... I don't even remember the bad times... Weird eh? I did play a lot of jokes on you... Andy too for that matter... and Al... I think I was a dick back then...

    I do remember, like I said before, how pissed I was when the band broke up, and that I saw conspiracy theories in everything (for which I'm sorry), but luckily, most of those memories are gone... I really remember the fondest of them all, except when Al reminds me what a dick I was... ha ha ha ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ian - not sure if you'll ever read this. I did an interview with you for Stranger Things many years ago and did a very weird web-thread to get to this. Fascinating stuff. I hope all is well with you - I still enjoy a spin of Into Thy Hands and Sanctified every now and again. If you get the time and inclination, drop me a line sometime at jdedwardsmail@sbcglobal.net.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just picked up Into Thy Hands this week from some company called Rad Rockers. It really took me back. The opening track still sounds so good. Wow the memories of setting up for you guys with Ted Acorn, it brought back a ton of memories. Those really were great times. It was really interesting reading through the blogs tonight. I miss you guys! Toby

    ReplyDelete
  5. My name is Jeff, i first heard your music back in the bygone 80"s era. I've always been a prog rock fan . I grew up listening to Rush, Triumph, pink floyd etc. so when i got saved it was so refreshing and inspiring to be edified by your music. And as a keyboard player and songwriter myself i can really appreciate the unique creative depths of your music and message, although I've only heard the fruits of your awakening labour. Even though you shared the pain of the breakup i just want you to know Ian your labour hasn't been in vain for i have spent many hours listening to your anointed music of the 80"s. Lord bless and keep you in his service. Hope to hear from u soon. A brother in Christ, jeff rhodes

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been a fan of the Awakening since I bought Sanctified back in the day, when I was 13 or so, lol. I'm 38 now... anyone else feel old? I was always looking for something more intelligent lyrically and musically, and you guys delivered. I was (and still am) blown away by Into Thy Hands. I'm listening to it right now. I know things can get messy with bands (been there a few times) but DO NOT discount the beauty of what you guys created! It has been an inspiration and companion to me over all these years. I always thought you guys were the real deal, and I understand you're also human and deal with all the things we go through as people in a fallen world. I wish you the best of what God has for you in Jesus name. Thanks for posting this history. Steve Gray.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Steve!
    Thanks for that kind message. If you feel old at 38, I've got 9 years on you!!
    Glad you enjoyed reading the blog. It's been a long time since I wrote it, and I don't really remember a lot of what I wrote (a familiar problem with me!), but I'm glad you enjoyed it.
    Take care and thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, here we are in 2018, and not only am I still enjoying the music, but my kids also appreciate it. Some things are timeless... good music being among them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that! I should check in here more often. I've missed many replies from years ago! Thanks for reading and for the support. Cheers.

      Delete
  9. Are these songs available online anywhere? I have my cassettes somewhere but would love to stream them somewhere like Spotify.

    ReplyDelete